‘How Not to Moot‘ is both instructive and amusing.
If your students haven’t yet visited the excellent Lawbore™ site, it’s tutorials are highly recommended. Lawbore™ is the City Law School’s (UK) legal portal. There is a very good set of tips for mooting there at http://learnmore.lawbore.net/index.php/Mooting_Top_Tips.
Here are the contents:
- 1 Don’t show how you’re feeling
- 2 Take the hint and don’t flog a dead horse
- 3 Make notes
- 4 Yikes! I’m running out of time…
- 5 Know your cases
- 6 It’s OK to laugh
- 7 Don’t fret if you have an unarguable case
- 8 Judges need facts…or do they?
- 9 Don’t be phased by judicial interventions
- 10 Citing authorities
- 11 Make a good impression and dress for the occasion
- 12 Be flexible – don’t read from a script
- 13 Don’t interrupt your opponent
- 14 Conclude, don’t just fade out
- 15 Learn some key phrases
- 16 Thanks guys!
I think even the experts can enjoy these.